Two years and almost two months later and another serial Q&A has stopped me in my inbox. As you’d know from the previous findings I posted in 2004, this is just about the only kind of chain mail that I actually pay any attention to. This one came from K in LA, and it was immensely fun reading her responses.
So in the spirit of sharing, here are some of mine — feel free to share your inclinations on the diamond/pearl axis of baubles and any other in a comment or two.
1. What time did you get up this morning? 7:45 (a shame seeing as it’s Sunday… but baby Calvin demanded both breakfast and verticality with persistent in-utero thumps!)
2. Diamonds or pearls? Diamonds.
3. What was the last film you saw at the cinema? Casino Royale (I went in skeptical, but Daniel Craig can count me as a new Bond convert.)
4. What is your favorite TV show? Law and Order. Any season, any ‘variety’ (the orignal, SVU, Criminal intent.)
5. What did you have for breakfast? Herbal spiced chai tea and an organic banana.
6. What is your favorite CD at the moment? The original motion picture soundtrack to The Big Blue by Eric Serra. I used to have it and am hoping to get it for Christmas. I loved listening to the whale sounds, and understand baby Calvin might enjoy it too.
7. What kind of car do you drive? Whatever the economy car choice is at the rental company. Viva public transport!
8. What are your favorite clothes? Anything that feels like a cotton cloud kiss and will accommodate the ever-expanding baby belly!
9. If you could go anywhere on vacation, where would it be? I just saw a great promotion for trips to Australia. It’s the only continent I’ve never been to, and would love to make a long stop in New Zealand.
10. Where would you want to retire ? To our yet-to-be-built house on Walker Bay in the Cape, South Africa.
11. Favorite time of day? Always been sunset.
12. Coke or Pepsi? I rarely drink soda, but preferably cafiiene-free diet Coke… which you can find almost nowhere unless you buy it at the grocery store yourself.
13. Are you a morning person or a night owl? Morning person, I love to carpe diem.
14. Pedicure or manicure? Neither.
15. What is your best childhood memory? So many! But this one springs to mind: The day my parent organized to take me out of school and to my aunt’s house in the neighbouring city to see snow. (It’s snowed three times in three generations of my family, hey, it’s Africa!) We stopped on the highway and has a snowball fight with total strangers; we built a tiny snowman and I stayed out there playing until I lost all feeling in my hands! It was absolutely cool that my parents took the initiative to let me experience this, versus spend the day in class.
16. Favorite restaurant? At this very moment it is Country at the Carlton Hotel, NY. Amazing decor, impeccable service and the food…. (and more on that in a blog posting near you.) In a collusion of wit, whimsy and planned irony, we were served an amuse bouche of a frog’s leg presented in a silver serving dish that is a lilly pad with a tiny frog on it. (See photo above.)
17. Favorite Ice Cream? Toasted Sesame from il Laboratoria Gelateria made into a sundae at Boi Restaurant in Midtown East, NY.
18. Favorite fast food restaurant? I dislike fast food and purveyors thereof. Perhaps Hale and Hearty soups.
19. What are you listening to right now? The rumble of traffic on 9th Avenue.
20. What is your favorite colour? Burgandy/colour of my wedding dress, tied with the blue colour of my husband’s eyes.